Today, my colleague Holly and I took a little road trip out to Middleburg, VA to check out The Salamander Resort & Spa. The Salamander opened 2 years ago, and it was a brand new build by owner Sheila Johnson, who ordered custom made materials and artwork to realize her vision. And what a vision it is!
This is a fabulous place for a romantic couples weekend, a girls spa getaway and even a family reunion.
The first thing you notice about The Salamander is its unique positioning–you can walk to it from the middle of the quaint and lovely town of Middleburg, filled with antique shops and boutiques. Middleburg, VA is only one hour outside of Washington DC and has long been known as horse country, but now it is also known as the epicenter of Virginia wine country. There are many vineyards in the local area, some national award-winning. And at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Middleburg is incredibly scenic.
The Salamander occupies 300 acres, most of which are park preserve. There are miles of hiking trails right on property. There is a large equestrian center onsite with 9 horses that are available for trail riding. There is an outdoor family pool, and several fire pit areas. And staying on trend, they offer falconry and as of next Spring, beekeeping facilities.
There are plenty of activities available:
- Riding lessons / trail rides at the Equestrian Center with 22 stalls, a riding arena and scenic trails
- Miles of walking and biking trails
- Nature-based activities including bird watching and a sustainable garden
- Exclusive golf privileges at nearby Creighton Farms featuring a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course
- Bocce, croquet, putting green and other lawn games
- Children’s Program
- TreeTop Zip Tour on 22 acres with 5 ziplines
- 2 Tennis courts with outdoor pool complex
- The Library has a wide collection of current and historic books available, as well as board games and quiet areas
- Tours of 50 Virginia wineries within 60 minutes of the resort
- Over 400 annual equestrian-related activities, including steeplechases, polo events, and some of the country’s most celebrated horse shows
- Shopping and dining in the historic village of Middleburg
- Historic area tours including Journey Through Hallowed Ground
There is also a 23,000 square foot spa with 14 treatment rooms, featuring Ahava, Caudalie, Natura Bisse and Alchemie of Switzerland products. Treatments reflect the local wine culture and include “Crushed Cabernet” body scrub and Vinotherapie facials. The spa has a gorgeous outdoor heated pool which is open all year round, surrounded by cushy loungers. The fitness center has an indoor pool and features yoga and Pilates classes.
There are 2 restaurants on site, as well as a wine bar, billiards room and a state-of-the-art Cooking Studio that features guest chefs. Here’s a sample of some upcoming offerings:
Game Day Gourmet
Healthy Holiday Desserts
Gingerbread House Making
The resort has 168 rooms and suites, and the standard room is over 500 square feet, with a King bed and small sectional sofa, work station, table and chairs and a lux marble bathroom with double vanities and a gorgeous free standing tub.
There is so much to do here and I like that it’s large, but not too large. The Salamander has extensive conference facilities as well, and they are in a separate wing of the resort so if you are a leisure guest, you would never know that a conference might be taking place.
Lastly, The Salamander has 6 cars that will drive you on a comp basis within a 5 mile radius, which is a nice touch.
I really liked what I saw and experienced today, and will be putting together special Spa and Wine Tasting Packages, so check back on the Special Offers page very soon!